Final Show Proposal
The work I propose to exhibit in the "Final Show" Is a series of works created for a module in painting and image making. The work is inspired by the 1940's film The Red Shoes and explores the notions of feminism, psychology and colour in film and art, as well as the concerns of a modern day female struggling with identity.
I have two pieces that I wish to exhibit; one being an installation piece using projected film and fabric to create a space and environment for the viewer to become immersed in. This would require full use of the dark space. The other, is a series of six 1.5m squared canvases that ideally would be placed around four walls of one of the studios, or placed in a row along one of the longer (perhaps the back wall) wall spaces in the large studio.
My installation piece would take approximately 5 hours to set up including placement of projectors and hanging of all fabric elements. The sound element of the piece would have to be finalised in terms of volume etc at the time. I have included several photographs below that give a basic idea of how the space would be set up. However, this has been done on a smaller scale to date.
Essentially what is going on in this installation is there are layers of sheer fabric hanging from floor to ceiling. upon which several variations of edited dance and death scenes from The Red Shoes are being played. By doing this I am making use of the ready made and highlighting the importance in the mechanics of film and its use of colour. The image above shows two or so fabric projections where in the "final show" I would have around 20 in the large dark space. Visitors would be encouraged to walk through the space experiencing the various angles and repeated imagery from the projections, and as they move through the space this would interfere with the surfaces and projections exploring the importance of movement. The fabric used is a sort of organza which is a direct reference to both the film and the main character's clothing, and with being a material commonly used in dress making and wedding dress design, this explores concerns regarding female roles in society, relationships and general life.
No comments:
Post a Comment