Research:
This book gives its reader a unique insight into curatorial roles and exhibitions by asking a range of questions to curatorial professionals. Each response answers these questions developing a book consisting of a range of perspectives and experiences within the field which lends to a broader understanding. The book involves members from some of the worlds most prestigious galleries and people who have helped develop the most important exhibitions. Marincola asks the curators to consider the elements of success and or failures of their exhibitions and projects both in the way they were produced and formed. By evaluating responses we can see the common denominators and the recurring attributes that lead to success.
Some of the questions posed are featured on the cover of the book, and again on a book mark inside which reminds the reader of what they are reading into. This grounds us allowing us to understand the text in its response to considerations in elements of exhibition development such as how the curator deals with the artists vision versus the use of space, placement of works in relation to each other, how to create supporting text for works that joe public will respond to, how to balance the pressures within the role coming from the varying wants and needs of artists versus budgets and space, and how to deal with the formalities of curatorial positions in high end galleries and museums.
I did not read the entirety of this book however I picked out some of the responses I was most interested in. I found the text useful as it highlighted certain elements of success within a range of large scale exhibitions. Which will in future contribute to my producing displayed work. Currently I have some photography on show in a small gallery in Worcester and had to consider its presentation based on the concept of the exhibition; "shadows". The text helped me to understand why my work needed to be shown in a particular frame and surround, in order to maintain its own identity while fitting in with the surrounding work and space. In addition from reading the responses, I now have a deeper understanding of roles of a curator, told from curatorial perspective.

No comments:
Post a Comment